From: Peter A. Pilgrim [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 9:50 PM
To: Struts Developers List
Subject: Re: Struts TLP Sub-projects (RE: Making Struts Build Easier)

James Holmes wrote:
> +++++1 on this!!
>
> You hit the nail on the head.  Many people (mostly managers) are reluctant
> to adopt Struts add-ons because they are not perceived as having the same
> "tried and true" stamp as the official Struts core.  I think doing this
> would be a huge boon for Struts and would foster a lot of the development
> interest that's been talked about over the past couple of days.
>
> Also, +1 on having the creators of those projects become committers so
long
> as they've shown a protracted history in maintaining their respective
> projects and have an interest to continue doing so.
>
> -James
> http://www.jamesholmes.com/struts/

Would the same principle work with people who have taken Struts
and integrated or embedded as another framework? Having spent
some type integrating 1.1 into Expresso Framework in 2002, in
our case can we be classified as Struts extenders? Also some
repository will not want to become a sub project of Struts
because of logical sense, politics or legal entity status?

> Here's something else to mull over:
>
> Now that Struts is a TLP, we might want to talk about whether we want to
ask
> the most popular open source Struts extensions -- like Struts Menu,
> Workflow, Stxx, SSL, and TestCase -- whether they would like to donate
their
> code to the ASF and live as Struts "opt" subprojects. This would be a
> continuation of what we started with Tiles, Validator, and Nested, which
are
> all favorites with our community. People working on such packages might be
> brought on as Struts Committers, since they have proved they have what it
> takes to run a project, and after an appropriate period, later invited to
> join the Struts PMC.

Kind regards

--
Peter Pilgrim