I read somewhere that you should use http://java.sun.com/jstl/core for the
taglib uri in your web.xml file for the JSTL libraries (as opposed to
something you make up like jstl-core).  The author stated that using that
full uri would allow a container to optimize those tags like you mentioned.

First, is that true?  Second, it would be neat if containers optimized
Struts tags in a similar manner.  Maybe the Tomcat team would be willing to
do this since they're both on jakarta.

Dave