On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:46:01 -0400
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Struts 1.1 Release
>

> > I totally understand and agree with the release policy, but I think it's
> worth remembering that a lot of these
> > questions are driven by the constraints of users' environments - e.g. in
> corporate environments like ours, there
> > any many people like myself continually fighting to get great open source
> products like Struts into the organisation
> > so that development teams can use them, and the latest versions of them.
> However, this has to be done within the
> > processes and policies that apply to any third party software, commercial
> or otherwise.
>
> Not trying to whine - but I fight the same battles. I work for a big,
> conservative company. Telling people it's a 'beta' release - regardless of
> what that means - makes it much more difficult to get things approved.
>
> Probably a greater percentage of your users than you realize are still
> using 1.02 for the sole reason that 1.1 is still called 'beta'. Worse,
> probably a lot of projects have started off that had to use 1.02 because it
> was the 'stable release' - and then the development teams struggled. I saw
> one project dump struts because they had trouble getting it to do what they
> wanted (they were forced to use 1.02).

You guys's whines are not half as loud as my wails when I consider how
long 1.1 has waited for a final release :-(.  Unfortunately, schedules are
one of the prices when it's an all-volunteer effort (no, Sun doesn't pay
me to work on Struts, and what they do pay me for is very very
time-consuming).

Recently, we've added a couple of additional committers -- in part, to
help eliminate the existing backlog of bugs (but also, of course, to build
up the team that will come up with future things to top Struts 1.1 :-).  I
hope to see improvement -- but it's not rational to try to make any
promises when none of us can control the amount of time we have available
to devote to finishing Struts 1.1.

Craig McClanahan