From: Joe Germuska [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 18, 2003 1:29 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: RE: [repost] Special view information -> ActionForm or request?

I don't have a very strong opinion, but for form *choices*, I've
always preferred to put them into some page-accessible context before
dispatching to a page.

I wrote a class called DigestingPlugIn which was added to Struts
after the 1.1 release which is designed to make it easy to put a menu
like this into the application context so that it's always available
to all your pages, even if they don't go through an action before
display.  Of course, if the choices are dynamic and specific to the
request or the session, this doesn't work, but for things like
sharing a menu of states or countries, it works pretty well.  If you
aren't comfortable using unreleased Struts code, you can get a
library version of this class from http://demo.jgsullivan.com/struts/

Another alternative for request/session-specific options would be to
extend the OptionsCollection tag to be smarter about how it gets the
collection for iteration -- this would allow you to route people
directly to the JSP without needing to go through an action class.

We've been having a vigorous discussion over the last couple of days
about the best way to prefill form *values* in a pre-validation
context, and to be honest, I feel like this is a use case which
Struts doesn't address very well.  It feels clumsy to fool around
with creating an ActionForm and populating it "on the way" to the
view; should I just get over that?  Or is this something about Struts
that deserves a closer look with an eye towards addressing the use
case more directly?  I've been meaning to search the archives to see
what discussions have come up, but since I'm sending this message, I
guess I'll just dump it out there and see what people think...

Joe

At 12:35 -0400 9/18/03, Mainguy, Mike wrote:
>I also would like other's opinion on this.  Right now, use a service
>locator style class to stuff all my lookup stuff into the request
>object manually. I have, however, used collections in the formbeans for
>this.  I can't, off the top of my head, think of any significant
>advantages to using a form bean.  One disadvantage, however, is you can
>only have 1 form bean per action, so lookups across multiple actions
>will need to have duplicate code.

Joe Germuska
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://blog.germuska.com
"If nature worked that way, the universe would crash all the time."
        --Jaron Lanier