From: George Steimer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 11:51 AM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Complex Form Validation

Nick,

Thanks for your response.  I'm doing something similar with javascript.
What would be better is if we could validate the form serverside with the
validation framework...  I think we would have to write a custom validator
that somehow would get the div parent of the form field and check that
before checking the actual field.

Thanks,

George

> George,
>
> I have done something similar to this.  I haven't looked at browser
> compatability yet(we're currently using this with ie6), but the
> concept that I use is that I look at the parents of the form field,
> trying to find out if the element is hidden.  If I find that a parent
> that is hidden, then I take appropriate action.
>
> My javascript loop looks like this:
>
> var hiddenParent = false;
> for(parent=formField.parentElement; parent != null && hiddenParent ==
> false; parent = parent.parentElement) {
>      if(parent.currentStyle.display == none) {
>           hiddenParent = true;
>      }
> }
>
> if(hiddenParent) {
>      etc, etc
> }
>
> Hope this helps a little.  If there are better ways to do this, I'd
> love to get the feedback :-) Nick
>

>                       George Steimer

>                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]