"Joe Germuska" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >Given that Maven still hasn't reached an official 1.0 release in almost 3
> >years of development.....
>
> hey, now...  Struts 1.1 took a darn long time!  I bet they're in the
> same boat.  Plenty of people who don't really track version numbers
> are using it happily, so the urge to actually cut a release is not
> too strong.

I'm not claiming we're angels, but we're doing a lot better than Maven is.
;-) From Struts 1.0.2 Final to Struts 1.1 Final took 1 year, 4 months.
During that time, people still had a Final release to work with. Maven has
been in development for almost *3* years, with *no* Final release to work
with...

> >That said, there are some intrepid Maven fans who are working on getting
the
> >Maven build for Struts to the same point as the Ant build system
>
> My enthusiasm for Maven is all about lowering the barrier to entry.

I used to share that enthusiasm. It has faded over time, however, as it
became apparent to me that, once you get past the easy part, writing preGoal
and postGoal scripts isn't much different from writing Ant scripts. Oh, and
Maven changing the way it does things didn't help either. ;-)

> I think long-time Ant/Struts builders forget how tedious it is to set
> up the build.properties file.  And that's just to compile; if you use
> an IDE you have another headache getting a Struts project set up.

That is certainly true. One of the things Maven does for you, to ease the
build process, is decide where the dependencies are going to come from. If
we did that in the Ant build files, it would make it almost as simple as
Mave, but then, because they're Ant build files, people would complain that
they were not sufficiently flexible. That makes it hard to win. ;-)

(When it comes to IDEs, though, most of them know about Ant, but don't yet
know about Maven at all, so there's not so much of a case for Maven there,
IMHO.)

--
Martin Cooper