I just checked the example application and did not see anything on Japanese characters. I'm at:
http://localhost:8080/struts-example/tour.do

Did you mean that if I were to just take this code and modify it to display these characters? Or is the example somewhere else?

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: i18n with Japanese characters and tags....
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 16:12:20 +0900

Carlo,

Have you checked the example application included in Struts1.1(or
current CVS)? It can show Japanese characters correctly without any
special implementations.
I think it will be a help for your problem.

The most frequent mistake in such case is lack of unicode escape
to their message resource files.
Don't forget "native2ascii" when you make your resource files.

see also : http://www.anassina.com/struts/i18n/i18n.html

----
Yoshinori Ashizawa
Ja-Jakarta Project  www.jajakarta.org

carlo latasa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to show Japanese characters on my jsp pages however the "&"
> character of the charset is coming back as &amp; which is preventing the
> characters from being displayed correctly. They look like:
> ƒLƒJƒXƒn
>
> Note, the bean:write tag renders the characters correctly when the filter
> attribute is set to "false".
>
> I've got a struts application using both Tomcat and Jrun and I've set my
> controller element of the struts-config.xml as:
>
> <controller contentType="text/html; charset=JISAutoDetect"/>
>
> and at the top of a tiles.jsp that's at the head of every page I've got a:
>
> <%@ page contentType="html/text; charset=JISAutoDetect" %>
>
> <head>
> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=JISAutoDetect"
> %>
>
> ..... to set the encoding.
>
> My hunch is that this is something that Struts is doing to the in the
> RequestProcessor or Controller.
> Could/should I write a Filter to override this issue?
>
> Is this something I chould set in a .css called in the tiles.jsp?
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
>

> Carlo Latasa -

Carlo Latasa - Home: (510) 231-9655 Cell: (415) 385-1567