He was saying it 'can' display Japanese characters. The example doesn't
have any Japanese characters in in (if i remember correctly), but if
they are put into the properties files for the locale they will be
displayed.

You should look into that http://www.anassina.com/struts/i18n/i18n.html
page as it explains a lot.

I think the main problem is you have the Japanese characters already
converted into HTML in your application as yuo have them in the format
ハ. When you use a bean to write it out, the bean tried to escape
any characters that are significant to HTML, and the '&' character is
one of them. That is why it replaces your '&' with '&'. The bean is
trying to help by displaying the text you provided in HTML so that it
will appear as ハ on the page. The 'filter=false' stops it doing
this, but also means if you have some other characters like '<' in your
text then they won't be escaped and could cause the page to be rendered
incorrectly.

When I display Japanese characters on my pages I store them in Japanese
in a .properties file, then use native2ascii to convert those japanese
characters into the Java Unicode properties file format of \u####. When
java reads them in, the actual unicode character is passed around in
java and output directly into the html page. The page encoding is set to
UTF-8, and the browser can display it correctly. The bean:write will
also still escape the characters that need it such as '&' and '<'. This
also means I am not dealing with HTML formatting inside my Java code,
and can happily store the same characters in files, databases etc or
output to another device instead of HTML.

--
Jason Lea