On 10/10/2016 17:34, Robert Helling wrote:

On 10.10.2016, at 17:22, Willem Ferguson <willemfergu...@zoology.up.ac.za <mailto:willemfergu...@zoology.up.ac.za>> wrote:

give me a more precise indication of the unclear areas?

It was simply the shire number of references to part A, part B then again A then C. Maybe the abstract letters don’t help. Could you use more descriptive names every now and then?

In the end, it’s not so complicated: The heat map show how much gas is in the tissues compared to the ambient pressure, all this as a function of time. Blue colors mean less gas in the tissue and thus on-gasing, green to red mean excess gas in the tissue to various degrees and thus off-gassing. Fast to slow tissues from top to bottom. Lots of yellow and red mean lots of seed for possible DCS. This is the general idea, the more detailed version should be obvious from the figures (I would hope). I would think being less explicit in the text would help (because the reader needs to digest less information).

What do you think?

Best
Robert

--
The previous gas pressure graph was pretty precise and I could read the exact compartment gas pressures from the graph and relate them to the gradient factor (accepting there was no calibrated Y axis). I prefer information that is as precise as possible, therefore this preference. In contrast, for the heat map the colours are more qualitative, but I still prefer as precise an interpretation of the colours as possible. Therefore just a general notion of blue to red is not sufficient. For instance, if I have a deco stage with orange in it, I want to understand whether the inert gas pressures were very close to the M-value or not. If the heat map cannot provide that information, it would not serve any purpose for me. Therefore my strong preference for a much more explicit interpretation of the heat map. Because of this, it took me some time to get to terms with the heat map. In addition, if I have never seen a heat map and I am reading the user manual for the first time, I would like to have the full explanation, not only a notional summary. The user manual is most useful for divers using these facilities of Subsurface for the first time. If I were that diver, I would have preferred the 'full treatment'.
I hope my approach appears sane.