On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 10:25:51AM -0700, Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > The fact that everywhere else we use the decimal value of VID/PID, but in
> > that file we use hex really doesn't make it easier to find what could be
> > wrong
> > when you are searching for it.
> >
> > Honestly, it's the "everywhere else we use decimal" that is just strange
> > and wrong.
> >
> > USB IDs are pretty much always given in hex. Decimal values there are just
> > really odd. I was wondering why you used them earlier.
> >
> > Every single tool that reports USB IDs that I've ever seen has used the hex
> > format.
>
> I need to check if device_filter.xml is smart enough to understand hex.
> Frankly, I just followed what was used there.
> Yes, hex would be better. But all decimal is better than some decimal and
> some hex

Yep, I remembered correctly:

https://stackoverflow.com/a/8328814

Thank you Google - that's ridiculous and arbitrary and stupid, and not
documented, you just are assumed to know this.

So while I agree with you, Linus, that hex would be so much smarter, I
still think that it makes more sense to use the same representation
everywhere.

/D