Hello,
generally speaking, only netconvert will support generation of .net.xml
files (it is tricky). The most sumolib might do in the future is generate
plain-xml input files from a loaded and modfied network as input for
netconvert. However, your use cases are already supported.

1) In the latest development version
(20a9fc9e78f24f2555cf3e3ed00ac7f0d983736d) you can merge geo-referenced
networks simply by loading them together with netconvert:

netconvert -s net1.net.xml,net2.net.xml -o merged.net.xml

If you do not want to build this version from the github sources, wait
until tomorrow to download the updated binaries here:
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Downloads#SUMO_-_Latest_Development_Version

2) You can patch an existing network with z-data from various sources:
http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Networks/Elevation

regards,
Jakob