On Thu, 17 May 2018, at 11:11 AM, Jakob Erdmann wrote:
> generally speaking, only netconvert will support generation of
> .net.xml files (it is tricky). The most sumolib might do in the future
> is generate plain-xml input files from a loaded and modfied network as
> input for netconvert. However, your use cases are already supported.
Well, I have to second the comment from someone on the day before
yesterday: How comes that every time I need something the answer is
"Well, it is actually already there ... ". Thanks a lot.
> 2) You can patch an existing network with z-data from various sources:
>    http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Networks/Elevation
The map server I am using accepts a vector of GPS corrdinates as an
input and returns the elevation of all input coordinates, i.e. it does
no shapefile processing etc. In light of this, is there any reason why
I should not directly modify all the point coordinates in the .net.xml
file (i.e. turning all 2D positions into 3D positions), besides the
fact that I am likely to break something and end up with an
inconsistent network? The only other approach that I can think of would
mean using NETCONVERT to export the .net.xml into the "SUMO native" XML
(separate edge, node, connection, tll), add the Z values to every 2D
point there, and convert it back to .net.xml using NETCONVERT. Somehow
it seems equivalent, but then I am definitely not an experrt on the
.net.xml format...
Thanks a lot again,

Jan

> regards,
> Jakob

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have two networks that were originally converted from OSM to
>> .net.xml and heavily edited in `netedit` afterwards. These networks
>> cover neighbouring areas in the city and they share common
>> edges/nodes. I would like to join them into one larger network, but
>> manual approach is not feasible, the networks are quite large. Before
>> I start to develop something, I wanted to ask if by chance there is a
>> tool that would be able to accomplish this (maybe `netconvert` has
>> something that I have overlooked?).>>
>> If not, my best shot would be to patch `sumolib` to allow easier
>> merge of both network graphs (not easy but doable) and then patch
>> `sumolib` again to be able to write out a network file (I looked only
>> briefly into the source and I did find only a method to read the
>> network, there seems to be no write method available). Any thoughts
>> about this approach?>>
>> The second question regards adding elevation to an existing .net.xml
>> file. The original data in OSM are flat, but I have now a possibility
>> to map geo-coordinates to elevation data. I cannot use the original
>> OSM to extend it with elevation data due to the fact that the network
>> has been already edited, so my approach would be again to use
>> `sumolib`, map the XY coordinates to LatLon coordinates using the
>> provided `sumolib` methods, request the elevation from the mapping
>> server, update the nodes/edges with elevation data (just assigning
>> the elevation to Z axis) and then use the above mentioned patched
>> `sumolib` to spit out a new network. Does it sound reasonable or am I
>> missing something?>>
>> Thanks a lot for comments.
>>
>> Jan

Jan Přikryl