Hello,
generally, vehicles do not change their route after being added to the
simulation (via TraCI or otherwise).
They retain the route that you assigned in the vehicle.add() method.
Routing must be enabled explicitly via vehicle devices (this would apply to
traci-added vehicles if the device probability option is used) or Rerouter
elements (http://sumo.dlr.de/wiki/Simulation/Routing).
regards,
Jakob