I've been following the discourse on 'Nought at noon' and
this has reminded me of an anomoly which has puzzled me for
years.

In my school technology course we undertake a project on
time and so we get a lot of clocks and sundials which the
students design and make.

A  question I am often asked is why do English clocks with
Roman numerals have IIII (instead of IV) at the '4'
position and most Continental and American clocks appear to
have the correct IV?

Was this an error on the part of some early clockmaker
which was continued eventually to become a tradition or is
there some other reason?

Get your own zoom email - click here - http://www.zoom.co.uk/