I don't consider the use of either IIII or IV an error but rather a choice to use a specific representation.

Various reasons have been given, including unsubstantiated anecdotes, for the preference of IIII vs. IV on clock dials. On clock dials preference is often given to the aesthetics of greater symmetry when IIII is used. There is also a tradition of using IIII. I would dispute that IV is more "correct" than IIII since both are valid and understandable representations of the number four. I agree that modern usage favors the shorter IV--except on clock dials. For further discussion of this topic see my Web site
http://www.ubr.com/clocks/faq/iiii.html

To shed further light on usage, the only Latin text I have at the moment is Frontinus's DE AQVIS VRBIS ROMAE, written about 97 AD. It contains such representations as IIII, XIIII and VIIII, but also XXIX and XIV. The manuscript dates from about 1200 or 1300 AD. Because a few of the numbers (not necessarily relating to IIII vs. IV) are different in different editions, it is difficult to be certain which of these were in the original and which were introduced by various scribes. But I think that this supports the early usage of IIII (and perhaps also IV) in Rome circa 100 AD. Those familiar with early Roman dials may wish to comment on the usage in these.

Gordon