Hi Sara,

Thanks for responding - I had remembered our previous discussions on the list
re classifying dials, but I don't have a quotable reference to what you and
your colleagues have produced that I, and the other dabblers at dialling, can
refer to. Perhaps when you return home you could point us to the publication.

Re cylinder dials - whoops, I'm very red-faced at dropping that clanger!  What
I should have said, of course, is that the gnomon always faces the Sun, not the
south.

Re moving dial faces, I hadn't intended this to refer to portable dials, but to
dials in which the dial face and its hour lines have to be specially aligned
for every reading.  Thus a Butterfield dial, for example, is a portable dial
but the dial is always set up just like a fixed dial, aligned horizontal & N/S.
 However, Regiomontanus, Capuchin, quadrants etc have to be pointed at the Sun
and tilted to align them.  I think this requires an entry in any classification
scheme.

Re nonius - I agree with you in that the formal name of a "diagonal scale" is
transversals - the Second Edition of the Glossay will contain both terms as the
former is sometimes found in the literature.  The nonius gets a separate entry,
together with a v. brief biog of Nonez.

Best regards,

John