A navigator is not a dialist.
A navigator always wants to know where the North is, that is why North is upon your maps.
A dialist looks always to the South and is turning left or right from that direction.
Thibaud

At 07:39 26-09-2003, you wrote:

Why is the sun's azimuth shown as 180 degrees east or west of south, when my Astro Compass and I daresay navigators work in 360 degrees from north ?

Can the Dialist Compansion show both.

Message date : Sep 25 2003, 08:15 PM
From : Fred Sawyer
To : Sundial List
Copy to :
Subject : Dialist's Companion

In a recent response to John Carmichael, I
referred to some capabilities of the Dialist's Companion program.  It seems
that a number of people where unaware of these features.  After checking
the Help page, I discovered that we evidently did not document them - so no
wonder that they are still a bit mysterious.  This will give a little more
detail:

If you are at the
main page of the Dialist's Companion, you can toggle the clock on and off by
hitting the End key (part of the home, end, PgUp, PgDn, and arrow keys
arrangement).  Notice the small box just to the left of the Julian Date on
the screen; once you have hit the End key, the rotating line in this box changes
to a V - for virtual mode.  When in this mode, the clock is off. You can
set the date, latitude, etc. as usual, using the D, T, O keys - or you can
change the date and time by using the PgUp, PgDn, Ins, Del and arrow keys
to step your way through the hours and days.  Note that with each change in
time or date, all the values are recalculated and remain on the screen until you
change the time again.  This makes working with calculations much
easier.

size=2>

To start the clock
up again, hit End.  Note that the clock progresses again as before - but it
picks up where you left off in the calculator mode.  So you can mimic the
clock's functioning at any time of the day or year.  The box to the left of
the Julian Date will still show V, meaning you are still in virtual - not real,
current mode.  To change back to current mode, press Home - this brings you
back home to the real world and synchronizes the software with your computer's
clock/calendar.  Note that the box now changes from V to the rotating
line/arrow you are familiar with.  Be sure to have the clock going when you
hit Home - otherwise the program synchronizes with the clock for only a split
second - the clock continues but if you have the program still in calculator
mode, it will not change.

size=2>

I hope this helps -
and perhaps uncovers capabilities that you didn't know the program
had.

size=2>

Fred
Sawyer