> >I am familiar with temporal hours for which the period of time between
> >sunrise
> >and sunset is divided into 12 hours.  I have recently come across octaval
> >hours
> >for which the period of time between sunrise and sunset is divided into 8
> >hours.
>
> ... This eight hours were called
> also "tides" in ancient Saxon language, and what I know is that that word
> doesn't mean tide like today, but simply something like "space of
> time".

There is obviously a close and practical relationship between time and
tides. In German, "time" is "Zeit", and "tides" is "Gezeiten".

As for dividing a period of time into eighths, that is a natural
result of repeated halving. Like we divide inches into fractions,
pounds and pints into ounces, the compass into points, or a dollar
into bits (like "shave and a haircut..."). It was the astrology-loving
Babylonians that liked to divide things into twelve parts or 5X12=60
parts, which gave us our system of measuring time and angles.

On rainy days I ponder the question, whether it would have been better
if evolution had given us 4 fingers, so we would count everything by
halves, or 6 fingers, so we would always use base 12, which makes it
easy to find the 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, or 1/6 part of anything. I'm sure 5
fingers was a bad choice since it led to this muddle of the bases 8,
10 and 12.

Art

--
To study, to finish, to publish. -- Benjamin Franklin

Dr. Arthur Carlson
Max Planck Institute for Plasma Physics
Garching, Germany
[EMAIL PROTECTED]