Now that I've seen the news on the stolen
equatorial in Germany, I remember I once made
a similar design for Pov-Ray (a 3D renderer).
it was an equatorial with a spindle-shaped gnomon
so that it showed true (or legal) time,
instead of solar time.
The gnomon was rendered by brute force, this is,
cutting a cylinder with rays from the hour points
to the sun, but I wonder how could I derive some
implicit or, better, parametric equations for such
gnomon in order to introduce them in a CNC machine,
for instance.

   Hello Anselmo and others sundialists,

I'm not sure if this is exactly what you need but you'll
find such equations in an old report of mine available
in the address

   http://www.math.tut.fi/~ruohonen/SundialRep.pdf

Two gnomons are needed, one for spring and one for
autumn. Both gnomons are rotational surfaces, and
both contain a sharp point in the middle (spindle).
The sharp point can be avoided by using shifted time,
as explained in the report, which might come in handy
when CNC lathes are used.

But there is a problem. As explained in the report, the
exact mathematical shapes of the gnomons do not exist,
because of singularities near the solstices. Excluding
a few weeks around both solstices, or using approximate
shapes is a workaround for the problem. Several such
constructs are explained in the report.


   Hope this is of some help,

   Keijo Ruohonen


***************************************************
Keijo Ruohonen     Tampere University of Technology
(+358) (3) 3115 2420       Institute of Mathematics
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                 33101 Tampere
http://math.tut.fi/~ruohonen/english.html   Finland
**********************************NULLIUS*IN*VERBA*



-

Reply via email to