Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2005 3:53 PM
Subject: Numb3rs

List members who can view U.S. television may want to watch the CBS show Numb3rs on Friday night, October 14 (10pm Eastern) for a sundial/shadows tie-in.  The title of the episode is "Obsession".

As you may know, the Numb3rs series deals with a mathematics professor who helps his FBI agent brother solve crimes through the miracles of mathematics.  The producers make a real effort to stick to reality and the solutions they present are intended to be possible in the real world (or at least what Hollywood views as the real world!)

A few months ago, while planning was underway for the Oct. 14 episode, I was contacted by one of the show's researchers.  He wanted to know if it were possible to use the shadow of a building in a date/time stamped photo as a poor man's GPS system - using mathematics to locate the building itself.

We had the requisite discussions about the fact that the shadow of a building might be rather diffuse near its end point, that the slope of the ground on which the shadow is cast could be a problem, that the time stamp placed on a photo by a camera might be significantly different from the real time, that the level of precision needed for their plot just might not be realistic, etc., etc.
All of that came under the rubric of suspension of disbelief - and we then had to address the basic theoretical question.

I told him I didn't see how it could work with a single photo but that if the script could be arranged to involve 2 photos taken at different times - then we could do something.  So we began working things out.

I suggested that they use a shadowcasting object shorter than a building - initially they mentioned a skyscraper but I noted that it would be hard to get the skyscraper and its shadow in one photo - and that the FBI would probably be able to identify any such building in the Los Angeles area without resorting to these measures.  They would need something of known height and they would need some way in the photo to measure the length of the shadow.  For the latter problem, I suggested that they include some brickwork on the ground - knowing the standard size of the bricks, they should be able to determine the length of the shadow falling across the bricks by
using the simple Pythagorean theorem.  To cast the shadow, they settled on a basketball hoop - assuming that it was set at the regulation 10 foot height, that the brick patio was level, that they could determine what point on the hoop cast what point on the shadow, and how far that point was from the pole supporting the hoop etc. etc.

With this done, Charlie (the math prof.) can calculate the sun's altitude at the date and time of the photo(s); it's simply the arctangent of the (height divided by the shadow length).

Since Charlie occasionally scribbles his equations on a blackboard as he explains the math behind his solution, I provided the following:

sin(alt)=sin(lat)*sin(dec)+cos(lat)*cos(dec)*cos(tau-eot-long+merid)
(longitude increasing to the west)

Charlie calculates the solar altitude (alt) from the shadow and known height of the hoop in the photo.  The photo gives the standard time (tau) and the date, which together give the solar declination (dec) and (eot).  Knowing that the photo is taken somewhere in the general area of Los Angeles tells us the time zone of the location - therefore giving us the central meridian (merid) of the time zone.

Having supplied these values, we now have an equation in two unknowns: latitude (lat) and longitude (long).  Graphically, we can represent this equation by using the magic of television to draw a curve in the sky above all the places whose latitude and longitude satisfy the equation.  If we do the same thing for the second photo we obtain a slightly different curve.  The two curves will intersect at a single point - directly above the location at which the photos were taken.

The show is likely to come up with some graphic to illustrate these curves in the sky.  They went through several versions of dialog and descriptions of the graphics - right up to the day they were shooting the relevant scene, I was trying to talk them out of the idea that the curves would somehow be the links from the shadow to the sun and that they would pass through the sun.  I hope they got it right - it was difficult doing everything by word descriptions over the phone - and they really were enamored with an incorrect image and had a difficult time understanding
the correct one.  But, hey, they tried - let's see what they came up with.

While we were going through all this, one of the show's creators mentioned that if I wanted to donate a sundial that would fit nicely in Charlie's office (or rather in the set used as Charlie's office), they would be glad to add it to the collection of permanent props for the set.  I decided to send a brass/marble paperweight dial that is a reduced size reproduction of an 18th century Richard Glynne sundial - I believe that the original artwork for this reproduction was done by Fer de Vries.

They were thrilled to have the dial and I am told that it was placed in the office on the day they were shooting a scene for the October 7 episode - so sharp eyes might be able to spot the dial in the episode before "Obsession".  It will supposedly be a permanent fixture for the series.

The script was also changed so that Charlie would contemplate the solution to the problem while picking the sundial up from his desk - so it should be obvious in this episode - and making it clear that it was the sundial that gave him the inspiration to solve the problem.

I suggested that if they really wanted to show their appreciation for coming up with a solution to their dilemma, they could have Charlie mention NASS in the program.  This idea didn't fly with the original writer, but it evidently was put in when the producers took over responsibility for the episode.  As of the day of shooting, the script called for Don (Charlie's brother) to ask how Charlie and Larry (Charlie's cosmologist friend) came up with this solution.  Charlie and Larry both turn to each other and observe that they are card-carrying members of the North American
Sundial Society!

Whether or not that bit of dialog made it onto the film and through the editing department remains to be seen.  But it just might have made it.  Watch on October 14 to find out.

Fred Sawyer