Hi Folks, just a short note on hinging in latitude/EOT corrections.

I tend to think of the hinge as one side of a parallelogram with the gnomon as
the opposite side.  The parallelogram extending down through the dial plate
and base.  When any set of parallel lines is rotated around one of them, they
still stay parallel, further, if only a subset of these lines is rotated, all
of them
are still parallel.  So, really, the hinge could be just below an edge of the
dial
plate if the dial plate is allowed to swing to positive and negative angles. So
long as the hinge is parallel to the gnomon.  A half circle with a screw clamp
or any number of other ways could be used to set the angle/time.  I hope this
makes sense.  It is all equivalent to translating the dial in Longitude(
rotating
around the earth's axis as a hinge).

Enjoy the Light!

Edley.