I can thoroughly recommend a really good book (I'm only half way through
it) that was suggested to me by another member of this list.

"Saving the Daylight" by David Prerau.

My thoughts at present are that a number of issues have really driven the
widespread adoption of DST:

The realization that noon to noon differed at different times of the year.
Hence the adoption of "Mean Time".

Railways needed to standardise time ~ even more in "wide" counties like the
US and Russia than in the UK. Hence the adoption of time zones.

Noon (by the sun) was not customarily in the middle of the working day.
Various working groups &/or employers can see an economic benefit to
maintaining solar time or changing the clocks.

DST was first proposed by Benjamin Franklin in 1784. He failed to get it the
idea adopted.

Later it was championed by William Willett in the UK early in the 20th
century. He gained much support and spent a great deal of his own money
promoting the idea. He failed to get it adopted though it was brought to the
UK parliaments several times.

The Kaiser adopted the idea in April 1916 to help the war effort and the UK
followed suit almost immediately.

It seems that the UK, like Russia, might once again be thinking about
permanent DST.

Sundials tell the time by the sun, clocks tell us how we should co-ordinate
activities with other people.

OK I've probably now shown that I need to finish reading the book!

Andrew