Diese Nachricht wurde eingewickelt um DMARC-kompatibel zu sein. Die
eigentliche Nachricht steht dadurch in einem Anhang.

This message was wrapped to be DMARC compliant. The actual message
text is therefore in an attachment.
--- Begin Message ---
Dear Frans,

The picture that Dan-George pointed us to is excellent and intriguing too. My
reading of the lettering is slightly different from yours. Starting from the
top (presumably the winter solstice), I get

X  I  M  E  P  I  N  H
       H  M  E  P  I  N  H
       E  P   I    N H

where the columns represent the spaces between the hour lines. There could be
some misreadings here. It is clearly not the standard Greek system of using the
first letters of their alphabet as numbers but I don’t recognise the names of
the seasons either. Looking through Sharon Gibbs’ book, I couldn’t find a
similar set of inscriptions. Can any classical scholars help us?

As a second point, the front face of the marble looks to be vertical in the
photo but I found another view online which seems to show it cut back at an
oblique angle. Both forms of dial are known - which is this?

Regards,

John
—————
Dr J Davis