Hi Bryan,

The "9" in "9.11943" can't be right for any reasonable "log" of "tan", so it's likely a misprint. The "log" than Waugh would likely be using is the common log, LOG10, rather than the natural log we mostly use these days.

And indeed LOG10(TAN(7.5)) is −0.8805708975, which is "-1 + 0.1194291025".

In Logarithm books (for those of us who remember using them), when you looked up the logarithm of a number you had to first express the number in scientific notation as the lookup tables only had numbers in a certain range. So in this case, the logarithm in base 10 of 7.5 degrees is 0.1316524976, but you had to first express that as 1.316524976 x 10^(-1), then lookup the logarithm (base 10) of 1.316524976, which is 0.1194291025. The logarithm of the exponent is -1. However rather than waste time subtracting 1 from 0.1194291025 immediately, the exponents (whole numbers) and fractions were treated separately in further calculations and only combined at the end. Hope that makes sense.

I suspect Waugh was just using logarithms as a means for making calculations by paper easier. They would not be inherently part of the equations he was trying to solve. He was really interested in the TAN, and finding the LOG10, was just so he could add intermediate numbers rather than multiply them.

Regards Hank