Thanks to all who offered their help!

I confess to knowing nothing about how logs are used, but it would be a
substantial sidetrack from the task at hand to educate myself on this now.

The Excel expression by Peter Meyer is a huge help. It recreates the values
reached by Waugh in my spreadsheet and should allow me to produce local dials.
I NEVER would have gotten there on my own!

=DEGREES(ATAN(TAN(RADIANS(B3))*SIN(RADIANS(latitude))))

- Bryan