Again my reply to Favio didn’t post. I don’t know why, but now I’m trying
again to post it:

,

Favio—

.

You  wrote:

.

[quote]

The idea of reviving the Rep. Calendar (together with the corresponding
Greg. Calendar) is that of an intellectual fun

[/quote]

.

Undenniably so.

.

[quote]
If you really wanted a calendar to be hooked with precision to the
declination curves, I believe that the most authoritative is the Persian
Calendar, still in use in Iran and Afghanistan, which uses the names of
the zodiac for its months, that is, equating what gnomonists usually do.

[/quote]

.

Yes, the Solar Haji calendar of Persia is accurate too.

.

I don’t know whether the Indian National Calendar or the Solar Haji is more
accurate.

.

The Solar Haji uses a pure astronomical yearstart, & that makes it a
fraction of a day more accurate.

.

Also, it includes a 29-day month. If the Indian National Calendar changes
the 29 day month to 30 days, to keep all the months to 30 or 31 days (maybe
for the convenience of monthly-payments), that would amount to some loss of
accuracy.

.

But it seems to me that they said that the Solar Haji’s 29-day month is the
last month of their year, which would be the ecliptic month of Pisces.  But
the shortest month of the year should be the one that includes our orbital
perihelion….& isn’t that in Sagittarius or Capricorn.

.

Anyway, those two calendars are the most accurate day-count calendars.  (as
opposed to ecliptic-month systems that start the year at the exact moment
of a solstice or equinox).

.

[quote]

I don't think that the creators of the Rep. Calendar had the intention
of reinterpreting the names of the zodiacal months (30° of longitude)
with those of their calendar…

[/quote

.

Maybe not explicitly, but of course they were intentionally measuring the
same ecliptic-months that the traditional Aries-Pisces ecliptic-months
measure.  …but the FRC of course does so with a day-count calendar, so the
months aren’t exactly the same.
.

[quote]

If I really had to make some considerations on declination curves, I
must say that lately I have rediscovered the use of these curves to
define diurnal arcs of whole hours, i.e. selecting the declination
values corresponding to diurnal arcs of whole hours and indicating this
duration on the curves.

[/quote]

.

But, we have the hour-lines to tell the hours.

.

Do you mean have a declination-line for each hour?  But that would
unacceptably clutter the dial, because there are so many hours in a
half-year.  …& look at how little hour-accuracy there’d be, with those very
closely-spaced hourly declination-lines. That doesn’t sound feasible for
sundial timekeeping.

.

[quote]
There are not many sundials with these features but they exist and
provide useful and not commonly available information (Sundial Atlas
DE2758, CZ218, AT1291, IT14055, FR4881).

[/quote]

.

I tried to find those dials at the Sundial-Atlas, but I couldn’t find a
search-provision there.

.

[quote]

On the Rep. Cal. 230, today is the day of  'celebration of convictions' :-)

[/quote]

.

An appropriate day-name for this day when calendrical preferences are being
discussed.

.

Wishing you a good year.

.

Wishing you good new ecliptic-month of Scorpio, the month before
Sagittarius, the run-up to the Solstice upturn.

.

Wishing you a good Celtic New-Year, at Samhain

.

Ecliptic-Month Virgo, degree 28

.

Michael