Mark Hansen wrote:
On 12/31/08 11:35, John Doue wrote:
Mark Hansen wrote:
On 12/31/08 08:31, Michael Gordon wrote:
John Doue replied On 12/31/2008 3:05 AM

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
John Doue wrote:
My memory must be failing ... I remember there is (was?) an extension that allows to arrange mail accounts in whatever order. Cannot find it.
well, you didn't look hard enough: http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#folderpanetools. Note: you'll also need to install xsidebar.
Thanks
Further, is there a way to hide a mail account from view and from the list in File, and to restore it easily? This is to prevent mails from being filed in a wrong account while keeping it handy when needed.
I have no idea what you're typing here

You did not look hard enough :-)

John, lets step back a little and examine what you are really looking for, a way to keep messages in their respective accounts and sub folders.

If you created all your e-mail accounts as individual accounts you already have a built in method of keeping all the incoming messages sorted into their correct account. If you created all your e-mail accounts using the Global Account where all your messages from all mail accounts go into Local Folders there is only one solution, change all your e-mail accounts to individual accounts in SeaMonkey.

I have four different mail accounts and each one is an individual account in SM, each account has multiple sub folders, and some of the incoming messages in these accounts are automatically diverted into respective sub folders.

The only time I get a message into the wrong account, or sub folder is when I grab a message with the mouse, drag, and drop it into the wrong hole.

Take a long look at the SeaMonkey Help files for Messages and Accounts this may help further explain how to resolve your question.

Michael
I think the OP was asking for a way to maintain the separate accounts, but
not have them visible by default through the UI. Quicken has such a feature.
You can 'hide' accounts and they are no longer visible - other than via the
'edit accounts' page.

For the OP: I don't know of any way to do this with SeaMonkey. However, you
could create a separate profile, and move your account there (I'm not sure
how easy this would be). Then if you ever need to access the archived account,
you would just start SeaMonkey in the other profile.

This isn't a great solution, I agree, but perhaps it will give you something
to consider.

Best Regards,
Thanks Mark for understanding what I was asking for. The problem with what you consider as an approach is that I need to be able to occasionally access the "hidden" account and move files back and forth. Indeed, your reference to hidden accounts in Quicken is the exactly equivalent of what I would like to be able to do.

Actually, I think I may have found a solution, but this need to be confirmed:

1/ backup the current prefs.js file to a specific location and rename it prefsunhidden.js 2/ remove the account I want to hide from within SM, exit, save prefs.js to the same above location, rename it prefshidden.js. 3/ create two batch files, one for each scenario, which deletes the actual prefs.js, then copies and renames the desired js file and then launches SM.

I will have to experiment and see if this overlooks an issue. Of course, having to shut down SM and relaunch it is a drawback. I will have to determine if this is worth the trouble.

Best regards

Well I'd be very weary of that approach, as SeaMonkey will from time to
time make changes to prefs.js. When you restore the back-up, you'll undo
any changes made in the interim by SeaMonkey.

Of course, this is only an educated concern. There may also be nothing
wrong with your approach.

Good luck.

You are right, I realize that "freezing" those files has this drawback and this is not viable as a permanent solution. As Daniel says, this comes close to creating two profiles with almost the same accounts structure (I do not see why this would not be possible, Daniel) which might then be a better solution, but leaves the issue of coordinating changes in both profiles.

I think that I will have to continue to manage as I presently do and correctly errors the best I can ... when I detect them!

--
John Doue