I saw these today:
http://www.infoworld.com/article/09/02/26/Safari_4_rivals_Google_Chrome_in_JavaScript_race_1.html?source=NLC-DAILY&cgd=2009-02-26
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128512

and I do think that there are people who will choose a browser based on rendering speed. And as more applications are written in JS I suppose "rendering" is evolving into "application program execution" instead.

Based on some minimal testing by friends (I have neither Mac nor Windows) and a little of my own (running Chrome under WINE) I have to say that the figures of 3x faster seem to be at least "in the ballpark" correct, and browsers based on the Webkit code seem to benefit.

FYI only, thought this would be of interest.

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>