POP, The server is Exim4 and dovecote

I don't expect to do this often.

I have one partner who keeps her messages on the sever for a long time, as a sort of safety mechanism. She downloads them constantly.

I was setting up a new computer for her and downloading the messages happened as a part of setting up a new account.

As others have noted it isn't a big deal and doesn't affect getting messages.but I wondered is anyone had ever seen this before.