Jay Garcia wrote:

None of the suggestions actually work.  The problem is
that IE8 bolloxes up the registry in some really odd ways.

CONTROL PANEL => Add/Remove Programs => Set Program Access and Defaults (left hand list) => Custom, then the drop-down arrow on right. Make your choices to see if they "stick".

So THAT"s what THAT"s for!-)

Do I have to reboot?

Without the reboot the "internet shortcut" from SeaMonkey still has
the InternetExplorer (IE) icon and clicking on it launches IE.

I sure wish I'd backed up the registry before trying to install

Under "custom" the settings did NOT stick!  Mmmmm...