On 6/1/2009 7:54 AM, David E. Ross wrote:
> On 5/31/2009 7:47 PM, Tom Pamin wrote:
>> Various times while clicking on web pages or emails I get a black circle
>> with a line thru it instead of the regular cursor arrow. If I click
>> again I do get the regular cursor. I replaced my mouse and still get the
>> circle sometimes. I've also changed my mouse drivers. Any idea what is
>> going on, and if it's a Seamonkey issue or not?
>
> The circle with a line indicates you are trying to do something illegal
> with your cursor.  I get that sometimes if I don't have the cursor
> positioned properly for what I'm trying to do.  For example, I see it if
> my cursor is not in the proper position in the address area when I try
> to drag-and-drop the address of the current page into my bookmarks.  I
> also see it if I attempt to paste into a read-only window (when I meant
> to copy).  This is a Windows thing, not a browser thing.

I noticed the circle with line just now.

I put my cursor on a menu item on a Web page.  A submenu opened.
Because such submenus sometimes disappear as you move the cursor, I held
my left button down as I moved to the submenu item I wanted.  That item
had a subsubmenu.  Continuing to hold the left button down, I moved my
cursor to the subsubmenu item I wanted.  Since moving the cursor with
the left button down is also part of drag-and-drop, I got a circle with
a line because the drag-and-drop operation is illegal on that Web page.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>