HeavyDuty schrieb:
SM 1.1.17, Win XP Pro SP3

I received several messages from a particular sender. When viewed in the
in-box screen, the sender's text wrapped to form nice paragraphs. View
message reveals that the original message is in plain text and not html.

But when I selected reply and opened the compose window, the original
text was quoted as one line of text a mile (1.6 kilometers) long!

Is there some setting to force quoted text (or for that matter composed
text) to wrap at 60 (72) characters?

if it happens even with your new settings in the future: Ctrl+R forces a re-wrap in the reply-window ;-)
regards

Martin