On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:14:53 +0800 (WST), Bret Busby wrote:

I fired up my ancient version of Mozilla Suite (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U;
Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.13) Gecko/20060711)

> From memory (it was a long time ago, now), it used to be quite simple;
> it used to be able to be done, simply, using one of two methods;
> clicking on the Search button to the right of the URL text box, with the
> non-dominant mouse button, which would list the search engines
> available to use with that button, the list, at the bottom, including an
> option "Add new search engine", which would lead to a dialogue box, into
> which the user would enter the URL for the search engine (eg,
> www.yahoo.com, or, www.altavista.com),

Nope. Nothing happens when I right-click on the Search button.

> or, using the menu route; Edit ->
> Preferences -> Navigator -> Internet Search, which then had the option
> "Add new search engine", which then went through the procedure

Nope. No option to add a new search engine.

> That, from memory, is how it used to be able to be done, with both ways
> of doing it, being available to the user, but, over the years, with
> changes to the software, and, the renaming (Netscape -> Mozilla ->
> Seamonkey/Firefox), that facility appears to have got lost in the
> process, and, the software less easy to use, so that, now, it appears,
> for a user to do what used to be simple, like adding extra search
> engines, and, changing the deafult search engine, the user has to do
> coding to achieve what the software used to do for the user.

You might have been using a extension that did this.

The way I would do it would be to go to
http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html, search for an suitable
engine. The results will show engines in various formats. SeaMonkey and
the old Suite uses only Sherlock format engines (with the apple like logo).

Once I find one I want I click on the install link and then SeaMonkey
would prompt me if I wanted to install it.