Martin Feitag <prof_nosp...@quantentunnel.de> wrote in
news:h4ce77$cp...@news.albasani.net:

> Dick Baker schrieb:
>> For years, I've periodically tried installing QT only to be outraged
>> by the fact that it seizes all video&  audio file associations
>> without asking.  Over and over, I've banished it from my PCs.
>>
>> But now, in a moment of weakness (foolishness?), I've bought an
>> iPhone, and it appears that Apple doesn't like PDF help files--it
>> prefers tutorials in *.mov format.  So I gingerly tried again to
>> install the latest version of QuickTime Player (7.6.2).  To my
>> pleasant surprise, it actually presented an installation option for
>> file and MIME type associations.  For both, I deselected *everything*
>> except Apple QT movies (*.mov).
>>
>> And, to my pleasant surprise, it does not seem to have seized any
>> file associations on the computer.  BUT when I ran SeaMonkey and went
>> to my twotonbaker.com site and tried to play mp3 files there, I
>> discovered that both SeaMonkey (and, for what it's worth, MSIE) were
>> using QT as the default player for mp3 files, instead of Windows
>> Media Player, which is what I prefer.
>>
>> Thinking I could undo this within SeaMonkey, I went to
>>           Edit>Preferences/Navigator>Helper apps, where I found
>>           audio/mpeg = .mp3 = open using default
>>
>> Oddly, it still showed WMP as the default.  So I tried to edit that
>> entry to set/reset default as WMP, but it reported, "SM can handle
>> this type internally.  For such types, a helper app will only be
>> invoked if the server requests external handling."  I went ahead and
>> made the choice, but this didn't change anything at twotonbaker.com:
>> mp3s still played by QT.
>>
>> So I got deviously clever:  I pulled out my seldom-used Notebook and
>> uninstalled SeaMonkey, including deleting the Mozilla directory under
>> docs&  settings.  I then installed QuickTime, being careful not to
>> let it seize any file associations.  And I checked:  WMP was still
>> the default app for playing mp3 files.
>>
>> Only then did I reinstall SeaMonkey.  And to my surprise and horror,
>> the new installation insisted on opening mp3 files in QuickTime.
>>
>> What in the world is going on?  QT can't be rewriting SeaMonkey to
>> tell it to use QT as the mp3 player, because SeaMonkey wasn't there
>> when I installed QT on the notebook.  And SeaMonkey isn't getting the
>> mp3=QT association from Windows because it's not there.
>>
>> I am completely flummoxed.
>
> You were almost there I guess. But the plugins are installed into the
> program directory, not the profile-directory in documents&settings.
> So after uninstalling SM make sure to not have a plugins directory
> with a quicktime plugin left there in the Seamonkey program directory.
>
> Alternatively you can try to find all QT-plugin-files by opening
> about:plugins (via the address-bar where you type things like
> www.google.com etc.) in a Seamonkey Browser window.
> Have a look for all Quicktime Entries there. They always name a
> filename below their headline.
> It's very likely that they are named npqtplugin.dll and
> [...]

Martin,
Thanks for detailed and logical advice, but it didn't work.

First, there was no npqt*.dll file under Seamonkey\plugins, so I tried
the "about:plugins" trick, which reported that I had QuickTime Plug-in
7.6.2 installed with the filename npqtplugin.dll.

A search of the C: drive for that file discovered two copies, in
        C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS
and  C:\Program Files\Quicktime\Plugins

I deleted both--and nothing changed!  (I also searched for npqt*.* to
make sure there wasn't a variant lurking somewhere else.)  Both Internet
Explorer and SeaMonkey still insist on playing MP3 files with QuickTime.
As I mentioned in my first note, Windows Media Player is the program
associated with MP3 in Windows, so what in the heck is QT doing to force
the browsers to use it?