Beryl <flyingterra...@chillybits.org> wrote in
news:e--dnqyiglbvp-zxnz2dnuvz_gydn...@mozilla.org:

> Got a QuickTime applet in the Windows Control Panel? Configure it
> there. Browser plug-ins and File Type Associations are two different
> things.

Yes, I do, and it led me to the QT preferences window, but just before I
saw your note, I had seen another on the WinXP group (the problem affected
IE as well as SM, so I asked there as well) directing me to

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Using+the+QuickTime+plugin+with+Firefox

That page showed me how to get into the preferences tab on the QT player,
where I found that, inexplicably, .mp3 files were still associated with QT,
even though I had expressly *deselected* that association when I installed
QT.