Richard Owlett wrote, on 2009-08-07 09:14:
I am encountering problems and questions moving from Mozilla 1.7.12 to SeaMonkey 1.1.17 under WinXP Pro SP2.

Problems:
  1. Although my preferences are set to download messages at
     startup and every 10 minutes, all that happens is that I'm
     alerted that mail is available on the server and I have to
     manually download.
  2. When searching messages, the drop down menu *ALL* SUBfolders
     not just the top level folders. My folder levels can be 4
     deep and my primary email account has over 80 folders. When
     searching, I always want to search at the account level.
  3. As I have multiple profiles I force both Mozilla and
     SeaMonkey to start in Profile Manager (-p option). SeaMonkey
     ignores the status of Work Offline check box. Is this a *BUG*
     or have I not set up something correctly.
       {related to *DESIGN FLAW* in Firefox that you can not
        switch offline/online DURING a session????}

Questions:
  1. Can prefs.js force email preferences - specifically "view as
     plain text" and disable JavaScript in email?
  2. Is there a simple (read automatic) way to setup multiple
     profiles having identical email & newsgroup settings?

1. You have not specified whether you are using IMAP or POP e-mail accounts.
For POP accounts, there is an "Automatically download new messages" in the "Server settings" panel for such account. For IMAP ones, as that checkbox does not exist, I just set the corresponding "Inbox" folder to be used offline,
    this way the messages are downloaded.

2. There is a "Seach subfoldeers" checkbox in the "Search messages" panel.
By disabling it, you can prevent the search to go through the subfolders of the current folder, but I don´t know how to search only top-level folders
    from all accounts.

3. That works OK for me.

Questions:

1. I don´t know.

2. No, but you can create the profiles and copy the *.slt subfolder from the
   "main" profile to the other ones.