Lionel C. Abrahams schrieb:
> My daughter is running SeaMonkey 1.1.17 under XPPro and somehow her
> profile(s) are corrupted.
>
> I have never seen a problem under OS/2 :)
>
> In her server settings I copied the location of her profile.  Looking in
> that directory I found a lot of *.slt file.
You first have to know that these are no files. Although the naming
suggests it all those *.stl are directories, not files.
And each directory is one profile. You first have to find out which
*.slt-directory is the correct profile.
Have a look at the subdirectories of the Mail-directory in each profile
(2k messages should be pretty large files like inbox, trash or sent) or
even better read the file named "profiles.ini", it should indicate name
and path to each directory.

> Well I thought something got corrupted and a new download did not fix.
> My 2nd. try was to download and install SeaMonkey in a new directory
> after renaming the old installation directory to SeaMonkeyOLD.
>
> After filling the necessary information, the new SeaMonkey only shows
> only 136 messages which is what she tells me in on her server (which
> matches the time she changed to keep her messages on the server. But
> what happened to the 2K messages she had in her in box before.

A new Seamonkey will still use the old profile, all your personal data
is kept in the profile-directory, not the program directory.

> Also there are a bunch (2K?) of folders showing up also with files
> names. Clicking on any one opens a blank message view.

Um, could you give an example or two of the filenames?

> My question to any SeaMonkey/XPPro expert, what can I do to explain
>
> 1) How did she end up with some many profiles

Is it really that many profiles?

> 2) Should I merge them in 1 profile and if yes how do I do it

Merging is not planned, but you can copy mailfolders to other profiles
later on. But first try to find out which profile is which ;-)

> 3) How  to clean up all those empty sub folders (I think those were her
>            old messages before)

which folders exactly? In the file-system or in the Seamonkey GUI?

> 4) How to re-index her mailbox to salvage the 2K+ old messages

Any file like inbox, trash, sent etc. will be read from scratch if there
is no corresponding *.msf (e.g. inbox.msf) file.
regards

Martin

PS: If it helps: http://seamonkey.ilias.ca/profilefaq/

/\  www.asciiribbon.org   - http://www.gerstbach.at/2004/ascii