On 10/30/2009 06:01 PM, User wrote:
> I recently copied a URL which contained spaces, from the URL field of the SM
> 2.0
> browser, into a SM 2.0 mail composition window, and then saved the e-mail as
> draft. Upon reviewing the saved draft (without re-opening it for editing), I
> noticed that clickable portion of the URL with spaces that I pasted into the
> e-mail was truncated at the first space character encountered. Obviously,
> this
> is not surprising.
>
> However, I seem to recall that in SM 1.X versions, when pasting a URL with
> spaces or other special characters into the SM mail composition window, an
> automatic conversation process would take place whereby the pasted URL in the
> mail composition would then contain the necessary escape characters (e.g. for
> the space character, it would become %20 in the e-mail).
>
> Can someone confirm whether the automatic escape character conversion DOES
> INDEED take place in SM 1.X versions but now does NOT take place in SM 2.0's
> mail composition window or when the e-mail is saved / sent? In this case, I
> had
> to re-edit the saved draft to manually replace the space characters in the
> pasted URL into their correct escape character equivalents. Thanks for any
> input
> / confirmation on the above.

Sure, here is an easy, reliable example[1]:

SM 2.0:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
click on #5 in 'Contents: Getting to know and work with your system
You'll see that in SM2.0 the URL ends up as:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community#Getting to know and work with your
system>

In 1.1.18 the same URL ends up as:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community#Getting%20to%20know%20and%20work%20with%20your%20system>

[1] Sorry for not finding an mozilla example, but this is one that I
know from heart :-)