NoOp wrote:
On 10/30/2009 06:01 PM, User wrote:
I recently copied a URL which contained spaces, from the URL field of the SM 2.0
browser, into a SM 2.0 mail composition window, and then saved the e-mail as a
draft. Upon reviewing the saved draft (without re-opening it for editing), I
noticed that clickable portion of the URL with spaces that I pasted into the
e-mail was truncated at the first space character encountered. Obviously, this
is not surprising.

However, I seem to recall that in SM 1.X versions, when pasting a URL with
spaces or other special characters into the SM mail composition window, an
automatic conversation process would take place whereby the pasted URL in the
mail composition would then contain the necessary escape characters (e.g. for
the space character, it would become %20 in the e-mail).

Can someone confirm whether the automatic escape character conversion DOES
INDEED take place in SM 1.X versions but now does NOT take place in SM 2.0's
mail composition window or when the e-mail is saved / sent? In this case, I had
to re-edit the saved draft to manually replace the space characters in the
pasted URL into their correct escape character equivalents. Thanks for any input
/ confirmation on the above.

Sure, here is an easy, reliable example[1]:

SM 2.0:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community
click on #5 in 'Contents: Getting to know and work with your system
You'll see that in SM2.0 the URL ends up as:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community#Getting to know and work with your
system>

In 1.1.18 the same URL ends up as:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community#Getting%20to%20know%20and%20work%20with%20your%20system>

[1] Sorry for not finding an mozilla example, but this is one that I
know from heart :-)

Thanks for confirming that. I wasn't sure from using SM 1.X all these years, but I did remember that I have NEVER had to manually insert escape characters when pasting ANY URL into the mail composition window. I guess this is yet another item on the to-do list for Seamonkey developers.