NoOp wrote:
On 11/11/2009 02:51 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I have put my full config up as screen shots:
   http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/Private/E-S_post_bug_SM2/

Note that SeaMonkey sends *no packets* to the NNTP host, other than "always offer auth" my working server definitions, those without auth needed, are identical.

I have "Fails for me" about 2:1 over "Works for me," but obviously it works for someone.

Linux, Fedora-11, updated a few days ago.

You know, I offered some time back to assist you off list/group. That
would have included sending you screenshots, but your reply was:

So not sure what the issue could be on your system. However, for the
sake of keeping this thread to a minimum, I'll be happy to test other
scenarios if you'll contact me directly (just drop the .invalid from the
email address & keep the same subject so that I don't automatically drop
the msg in the spam filters). I can test on linux (ubuntu 9.04 & 9.10 -
gnome only, I'm alergic to kde), WinXPPro & Win2KPro (both fully updated).

I noted the test I made, new profile, new install with no migration, even new Fedora in a fresh virtual machine. All behave the same. No clue... :-(

So good luck with that.

I do notice in your
http://www.tmr.com/~davidsen/Private/E-S_post_bug_SM2/SS-es-1.jpg that
your outgoing server is: localhost (Default). Do you actually expect to
post to news.ethernal-september.org via 'localhost (Default)'?

NNTP <=> SMTP, SMTP is mail, used when you "reply all" or similar. If SM2 is trying to use that for the NNTP POST command it is sadly broken. However, since other news servers, authenticated and not, work just fine with that outgoing SMTP server setting, I assume the problem is elsewhere.

In hopes of someone having a clue where 'elsewhere' might be I put up the screenshots. I think it points to an error inside SM2 that this happens only on this server which doesn't demand authentication, and one other similar (non-public) server which also allows access to small information without auth.

It seems possible that the lack of a demand for auth:
  480 authentication required
may somehow confuse SM, although I don't quite see how. In any case, it never even tries to POST, suggesting that internally the connection has been identified as read-only. I have no idea what would cause that.

Does this extra information give anyone a clue?

--
Bill Davidsen <david...@tmr.com>