Bill Davidsen:

>I think I've said several times, I monitored the network interface with
>tcpdump,
>and no packets were passed,

OK.

>the UA

SM.

>rejected the request with the message seen, "Check your config"

SM refuses to send with this message.

>which is correct, at least for other servers and all servers
>on 1.1.18.

You mean, that you cannot see a false configuration. Sorry for
misunderstanding. Seems, that not only my writing skills for English are
bad but also my reading skills.

But there is also the possibility that you have not been clear enough. *eg*

|I have "Fails for me" about 2:1 over "Works for me," but obviously it
|works for someone.

This belongs to eternal? 2 fails for 1 succeed? Or do you mean 2 other
newssevers are working correct and eternal fails?

But clearly you have problems with eternal despite of seemingly correct
settings. Here is what i would do in this case.

First identify the account which belongs to eternal by searching in the
prefs.js for eternal. In my case this would be mail.server.server4. Then
remove the account for eternal with Edit->Mail & Newsgroups Account
Settings->Remove Account.

Close SM and delete all traces of eternal in the profile. Especially the
folder News/news.eternal-september.org and the files
News/news.eternal-september.org.msf and
News/newsrc-news.eternal-september.org. Look into prefs.js, if all
references to server? are gone.

Start SM, open the Password Manager, select 'Manage Stored Passwords'
and delete the entries for eternal if existent.

Then create a new account for eternal.

Hartmut