Mr. Cheese wrote:
Rex wrote:
Mr. Cheese wrote:
In previous versions/editions of SM email would not be retrieved until I
started the email program. In 2.0 mail is loaded when I start the
browser. This might not seem to be a problem but let me explain.
I have a laptop that I use when I travel. This week I started it to
install new software from the web and update XP, etc.

Email was retrieved while I was browsing. Now when I returned to my base
system the email was no longer retrieved because SM thought was already
read.

Is there a setting that I couldn't find to suppress retrieval until the
email program is started?

Did you even look at the preferences pane before posting the question?
It's RIGHT THERE when you go to mail & newsgroups preferences - a
checkbox titled 'Only check mail when I start Mail & Newsgroups'!!

If you've enabled that option and are still seeing this problem, well
that's another matter.

Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow.
Mea Culpa. I was looking in the Mail and News Group ACCOUNT settings.
Thx to all who tried to help.

You should also be able to set the mail program not to download messages automatically. At least in previous versions you could (under "Server settings" for EACH account). So if I have two computers both running SeaMonkey at the same time, I set one not to download messages and let the other handle mail.

Paul B. Gallagher