Phillip Jones wrote:
Is it possible/has it happened that a person using Linux ,Unix or even Command line DOS in windows that have 10-20 years experience is capable of making a mistakes and wiping out their drive they are working from?

Yes, this happened once for me, when starting with Linux. My plan was to chmod a bigger set of files and also wanted to chmod the files, starting with ".", so my command was:

chmod -R user:group * .*

Unfortunately this also matched ".." and so started to recursively chmod anything one level above the directory, where I was.

As it is always possible to do mistakes, rule number one on *nix systems is: Always do your daily work with a *unprivileged* user account. A unprivileged user is never able to delete the whole hard drive.

CU

Manuel