Bill Davidsen wrote:
Seamonkey had the chance at 2.x to go in another direction, and chose to
continue using the old software in a slightly updated form, while a
number of other browsers went with webkit. And it may never have been
"in play," however you choose to define that, but I believe that I
mentioned my hope that it would be in the new Seamonkey, so you were not
unaware that webkit existed and was getting contributions from other
browsers.

But, to say it again: Webkit is not related to Mozilla in any way, and SeaMonkey is a 100% Mozilla project. Also, the whole XML-based UI and add-ons system just doesn't work based on webkit, but does based on Gecko, which is much more sophisitcated.

I want watched threads in mail, too, but we never had that.

Feel free to write a patch.

And do what with it? There seems to be no established place where
patches are posted for testing and comment, I have the impression that
unlink LKML there isn't a mailing list for public patch testing, just
the once a day release of code submitted by developers.

The place for patches and reviews is bugzilla.mozilla.org for SeaMonkey just like for the whole Mozilla community.

Robert Kaiser