Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
I would be perfectly satisfied with a world in which multiple browsers
competed for market share but websites were coded to W3C standards. That
would be a level playing field and the best browser(s) would win.

So would I, but that's not reality.

And anyway, how is writing a single version of compliant code not
"accommodating all browsers"? Are some browsers unable to display
compliant pages?

We all know that IE, produced by the 500 pound gorilla on the block, does not display compliant pages . . . "compliantly" in many cases. IE will display the page, but if the code is not written in "IE standards (which in many cases differs substantially from W3C), it may display that compliant code wayyyyy out of whack. I don't like that, but that is the reality.

Until the market share shifts SUBSTANTIALLY toward FF/SM, developers will be faced with the reality that, even though they write W3C compliant code, it may not be displayed "properly" via IE.

And even then (i.e. if the market share shifts substantially to FF/SM), I'm not so sure MS will surrender to W3C compliance. I'm sure that 500 pound gorilla has something ready to thwart that circumstance when the time comes (if it ever does).

BJ