BJ wrote:
>[...]IE will display the page,
>but if the code is not written in "IE standards["]

...and you have to specify **which** "IE standards".
Each *version* of IE renders the same code differently.
IE is a complete botch.
Even the latest IE only gets 20 percent on Acid3
while other browsers achieved in excess of 90--some hit 100.

>Until the market share shifts SUBSTANTIALLY toward FF/SM,

Some (techie) sites are seeing parity with IE (cumulatively)
and Firefox (Gecko, cumulatively, according to their methods).

>developers will be faced with the reality that,
>even though they write W3C compliant code,
>it may not be displayed "properly" via IE.

Pros know that after they have built a compliant page
that looks fine in all other browsers
they have to do specific tests on their pages
to see how they look in IE6/7/8.

*Smart* pros give a price for a compliant site
and a separate price beyond that to make it look right in IE
(actually, a separate price for *each version* of IE).

The old hands have lots of tricks up their sleeves
gathered over years of kludging things up for IE
and they don't give those away for free.

>And even then
>(i.e. if the market share shifts substantially to FF/SM),
>I'm not so sure MS will surrender to W3C compliance.

...and water is wet.  M$, however, doesn't have a choice.
The slower they are to become compliant,
the faster they will lose market share.

After the google.cn/IE6 fiasco, government agencies in
France, Germany, Australia, and New Zealand
advised their residents to stop using *all* versions of IE.
U.S. CERT advised that back in 2004.