Bill Davidsen wrote:
EnorMouse wrote:
Monica wrote:
EnorMouse wrote:
Monica wrote:
Bill Davidsen wrote:
Monica wrote:

I am using SM 2.0.3. Windows XP pro sp3.

After one of the last 2-3 SM updates (can´t remember exactly which
one) the following happens when I create a new mail account; SM for
some reason puts it in a "wrong" location on my hard drive.

Before the update it put all my mail accounts in C:\Documents and
Settings\Administratör\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\s0r5u2w5.slt\Mail\

After the update it puts it in a place that actually doesn´t really
exist on my hard drive (SM creates it)
C:\Program\Netscape\Users\Netscape 7.1\tng6b77b.slt\Mail\

I don´t have Netscape 7.1 on my computer! I have even tried to
delete
the mail accounts that have been placed there, and then deleted the
created Netscape folder/subfolders from under Program and then
tried
to create the mail accounts again to get them in the right
location.
It does not work, SM continues to create that particular path to
put
all my new mail accounts in.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be going on here?

Unless you are creating them in a new profile, no. If these are
going in
a new profile, maybe. When creating a new profile you can tune where
things are put (I'm not running Windows so i won't assume it's
identical
to Linux). If you ever had Netscape on the machine there might be
left-over cruft in the registry or other control location which
has that
string and directory.

You can try creating another new profile and see if it offers to
put it
in NetScape... Quick detective work.

No I´m not creating them in a new profile. However, in profile
manager I
can see a profile called "default" which I do not use, nor have I
ever
created it.

I tried the trick you wrote about above, to create a new profile.
It did
not offer to put the new profile in Netscape, but under the same
path as
my "old" ones; in C:\Documents and Settings\Administratör\Application
Data\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\

Could there be something strange going on with that "default" profile
(which SM must have created when I upgraded), even though I don´t
use it?

Like Bill, I have no idea what SM is up to and have not added any
accounts lately.

As the sole user of my computer, I dislike the habit of programs to
store their data in My Documents, or alongside the program files or in
the Documents and Settings folders. I actually have a separate
drive for
data and try to point all of my programs to appropriate folders on it.
This means that I can take separate backups of my programs and my data
(including all my email files).

Anyway, to fix your existing problem, copy the account folder to where
you want it to be. Go into SM and the Account Settings and at the
bottom
of the Server Settings page you will see a box with the file location
in. Change this to the new location and shut down SM.

Rename or move to somewhere safe the old account folder - you will not
be able to do this with any part of SM running as it will have
locks on it.

Fire back up SM and it should then find the account files in their new
location. When you are happy that it is working correctly, you can
delete the old account folder and files.

Hope that this helps.

Thank you EnorMouse, I did exactly what you wrote and it seems to
work so far!

However, when I tried to create another new mail account...sure
enough it went straight into the "wrong" (Netscape) location! Is
there anything I can delete somewhere to get rid of that Netscape
path for good, and so that SM doesn´t create it again even after I
have deleted it?

And how about that extra profile "default" which I never
created...should I just delete that?
I do have to be slightly careful because I have everything pointed at
E:\Mail & Newsgroups\SeaMonkey so things might not work quite the
same way. I have just found out that clicking on the Profile Manager
short-cut in my SeaMonkey menu just opens a copy of SM - there again
I am not 100% sure that I bothered to install it, as I only work with
my own single profile.

Anyway, getting back to what I do feel happy to comment on, yes the
trick of moving the folders is a one off and has to be done for every
account. When I last set up a new account SM stuck it in my Documents
& Settings folder and I had to go through the same procedure again.
If you have a number of accounts to set up, you can set them all up
first and then run through the same procedure for each of them in one
go.

Using Explorer, I know that the only location of my Profiles folder
is also under E:\Mail & Newsgroups\SeaMonkey and I have a single
folder under it with my own name on it. I do not have a second folder
called 'Default'. It would seem that so long as you can confirm that
you have an active profile sub-folder in your own name, you do not
need the Default one as well. You might like to check out the actual
files before deciding to delete the default profile.

I have had a quick run through the Preferences setup and can see
where I have told it to store my browser cache, but can not find a
general file location setting, so I suspect you can not stop SM from
doing what it is doing.

Hope that this helps
Just had a thought, but without having Profile Manager active can not
check it out. Does Profile Manager say where it is storing the
information for your profile? It is worthwhile pulling up your own
existing profile and seeing where it is currently pointing at. If it
is pointing at C:\Programs\Netscape, then that is where the problem
is. If you do find that this is the case, shout out and I will see if
I can recall how I moved my own one.
Where is the seamonkey executable installed? If the dot-exe file lives
in C:\Programs\Netscape I think we have a clue. I no longer have much of
a clue where Windows puts things, having left that world completely some
years ago. I have XP and Win7 installed on test machines here, but I
never "use" them other than for testing.

Sorry that I have not replied until now but I´ve been away!

The SM executable is here: C:\Program\SeaMonkey\seamonkey.exe