Paul B. Gallagher wrote:
Phillip Jones wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 4/8/2010 4:18 PM, Phillip Jones wrote:
My ISP is stickler for not been labeled as friendly to spam. Do I get
spam. I have one mailbox that I use strictly to catch spam. and even on
my good address I still get about 20 pieces of Spam a day. once every
week on both account I go into web mail and throw out about 50 on my
good account and about 300 pieces in my throw away account.

Your ISP not allowing you to send spam is in no way related to the amount
of spam you receive (except that it may reduce spam you might have
received from other members of your ISP).

I wish there was a signal you could push that would send a signal to the originating server that would literally either wipe the drive out so it
would not even be able to be reformatted. or would blow the equipment
completely up.

That's simply ridiculous.

I didn't say it was possible or even practical. I'd just like to see some severe consequences for people considering creating spam or even gathering list to feed to spammer. Its bad enough I have to put up with legitimate advertising. But when I get junk I don't want under any circumstances it make you want to punch their lights out.

When I think of all the resources wasted carrying and storing and delivering their crap, driving costs up for everyone, I get pretty peeved myself. But in the ordinary course of life, I mostly don't see it because it either gets filtered by my ISP or it gets filtered by the JMC in SeaMonkey. I have it set to delete Junk messages after seven days, and that folder contains 43 messages at the moment -- about six a day from seven different accounts. No big deal with a broadband connection.

I seem to remember reading about some hacker getting serious prison time recently; those are the people who really should be punished. That stuff, and malware and 419 scams, that's what really should be crushed. Maybe they should spend 20 years reinstalling software after HDD reformats...

You know I've been receiving email since sometime in the early 90's starting with local dial-up bulletin boards then the big 3 of Prodigy, CompuServe and AOL then on to AT&T Worldnet as dial-up and for a short time through ISP my cable supplier has and now fully through the cable ISP and except for a modeling amount with AOL never really had a spam problem. Two years into using the cable ISP and being fairly spam free the ISP decided to install antispam software I believe it was Barracuda or something similarly named and wouldn't you know it the very first day they had it installed I got 15 to 20 spam emails through the server but they were all marked "Possible Spam" by the software that was supposed to be stopping it. I tried using the unsubscribe link located at the bottom of this spam but that seemed to generate even more so I just started deleting them as I got them and up until I had to register with a couple of driver downloading sites had become almost spam free. I've always wondered if most of the spam and/or viruses aren't written by the companies also writing the software to get rid of them, similar to the companies that makes the radar detectors people use to keep from getting a speeding ticket are the exact companies that make the radar guns the police use to give you the ticket with therefore creating their own need for being in business.

--
Big Bill