Lee wrote:
SeaMonkey doesn't give me the option to automatically save certain
file types - the latest example being
  http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/DT5_Varenni_WinPcapDosDonts.pptx
where I get

You have chosen to open
whatever.pptx
which is a: Microsoft PowerPoint Presentation
from http://whatever

What should SeaMonkey do with this file?

and the 'Do this automatically for files like this from now on.' line
is greyed out.
Is there some way for me to manually go in and force all .pptx files
to be saved instead of asking every time I download a .pptx file if I
want to open it with some application?

SeaMonkey 2.0.5 running on Windows Vista

Thanks,
Lee

If that extension is not listed in your helper apps, then add it
there and set it for what ever default you want.