David E. Ross wrote:
[....]

The two methods accomplish the same thing: setting the preference
variable signon.startup.prompt to "false".

In the user.js method, you must find that file.  It's in your SeaMonkey
profile.  If it does not exist, find prefs.js, which must exist in the
profile; then, create user.js.  NEVER edit prefs.js!  You are apparently
using a Mac, which should have some kind of plain-text editor.  Use that
editor to enter the three lines I indicated.

If this is not working, something may have changed between SeaMonkey
2.0.x and 2.1.x.

Thank you - I'm afraid I'm a bit of a newbie on my iMac and am embarrassed to admit that I don't know how to find the file to which you refer! :(

However, as I use SM for fun/newsgroups I've elected to instal 2.1b1 and I'll see how I get on with that!

Thanks for trying to guide me. I've enjoyed exploring your web site btw!